Chishimba Falls (aus Wiki)
The Luombe River 7.2 km from Chilubula Mission in Kasama District makes a beautiful water fall called: Chishimba Falls (older: Chisimba Falls). The Luome river joins the Lukulu River shortly after the falls.
Location directions: Drive from Kasama center on the M3 westbound for about 24km, then take the junction to the D20 road. After 11km on the D20 follow the sign “Chishimba Falls 700m – National Monument” to the left. A hydro-electric power plant (owned by ZESCO) is located above the falls.
- M3/D20 junction: -10.165617,31.001737
- Turn left from D20: -10.103037,30.928463
- Chishimba Falls parking lot: -10,10827500,30,91742900
Over a distance of 300m there are three successive falls:
- Upper fall: Mutumuna Falls drops 20m
- Middle fall: Kayela Rapids (also: Kaela Rapids)
- Lower fall: Main Fall, also called the Chishimba Fall drops 25m
The Chishimba Fall belongs to the Monuments and Historic Sites of Zambia.
References and Web Links
- Zambia’s waterfall Wonderland: http://www.zambiatourism.com/travel/places/waterfalls.htm
- The Geographical Journal, Vol 86, No 4 (Oct 1935), pp.356-357: http://www.jstor.org/pss/1786226
- Bradt Travel Guide: http://books.google.de/books?id=p1DfesuY5HsC&pg=PA339&lpg=PA339&dq=luombe+river&source=bl&ots=dCDeO490ok&sig=e_VwVBwRrZjkWB_UoWz_yOZUwcg&hl=de&ei=tQroTfTgPIfn-gbDkOzhDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CGQQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=luombe%20river&f=false